Monday 15 February 2010

ground of confidence?

Be bold, be strong, for the Lord your God is with you. A psychological crutch? A delusion? ‘The power of positive thinking‘. But the irony is, it can only work if you really do believe God is there, if you have confidence in this, and in his promises. If you just think ‘think positive’, your spirit as a reflective being cries out to know why you should be positive. You long for something, someone to anchor your confidence too. The moment you seriously doubt the reality of that solid ground, confidence evaporates. And I believe reality, especially for instance beauty in nature, points us towards the ultimate Ground of confidence.
Will I act as if I truly believe that a being of supreme wisdom and power undergirds me?
I read from mark about the soldiers’ treatment of Jesus. The irony of human power turning against one who was the locus of God’s power. God hidden, in disguise, treated like scum.

2 comments:

Billy said...

Sorry Bruce, that doesn't work. I tried it. What you are doing is protecting your belief system here - if it doesn't work, you blame yourself. If it does work you credit god. It does not allow for other possibilities - the most notable of which is that life throws a lot of good and bad times our way.

This is a bit like the "no true Scotsman fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman) where you skewer your position to verify itself.

On what basis can you say such things?
Beauty in nature - can you explain. It seems a selective, empty and meaningless concept. I see beauty in the killing mechanisms od Deinonychus as well as hummingbirds. In fact the parasitic cancer of Tasmanian Devils that I blogged on recently blows my mind too.

Bruce said...

as usual billy, food for thought:)