Thursday 28 June 2007

A 'North Korea moment'

Reviewing an entry like yesterday's where I get lost in a meditative flight of fancy, I'm reminded of friends who have grafting jobs and small children to look after. Can feel like I'm on another planet - hmm, yup have heard that before. (I am applying for some stuff mind you). It's good to have a laugh at yourself and come back down to earth, so here goes. A friend called last night wanting a spot of light banter, and, feeling a bit downbeat myself, I somehow got onto talking about this deep reflective Christian article about relationships and attraction that another friend had sent. I soon sensed I was losing the friend on the line, because he said, 'this is another North Korea, man'. This referred to an incident last autumn when a few of us from church were in the pub, including some of the younger guys. Similarly feeling a tad downbeat, I'd opened up the subject of North Korea (I taught English in South Korea for two years). 'Do you know much about North Korea lads?' I'd asked, knowing deep down I was onto a loser. Pretty much on cue the guys all started putting on their jackets to leave. My pal finds it hilarious whenever he's reminded - 'legendary, will go down in the annals... a tumbleweed moment' (deserted saloon bar image apparently). Right time and place, of course, North Korea is a serious but fascinating topic - believe me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,

I came across your blog today. You may or may not remember me from Bristol days, but I am no longer part of the "Christian scene". Have pretty much lost contact with the CU people I knew at Bristol, but I had an interesting email from Michael Brookes the other day. Looks like you're doing well. Just goes to show some people "had it", and others like me never did.

regards,


Jonathan Castro

Bruce said...

Hi Jonathan,
thanks for your note. I have a Jonathan in mind, fair hair, studied maths - right one? I'm interested how you found my blog. And the name Michael Brookes isn't ringing a bell just now.
I'm not so sure it's a case of some folk 'having it' and others not ie that it's so clear cut and static. I guess I always have had an underlying sense of there being a treasure in the life of faith that has continued to exert its 'pull' even in the face of doubts and questions. But it's a day to day journey. I hope you may find again it's something worth looking into. I'll be tackliing some of my own qs and doubts as well as what excites me about faith here so feel free to look at when you want. Cheers.