Wednesday 20 June 2007

First thoughts

Rain. I love it when a weather forecaster talks about 'more organised bands of rain' marching across the country or somesuch. Sounds slightly sinister, like the rain is plotting to assault the county and make people's life a misery. If you ask me, disorganised rain is bad enough.

Was walking back through Glasgow city centre after housegroup last night. I often find being out and about in the bright lights, or mingling with the general public in other ways like sitting on the bank in Kelvingrove park surrounded by the mellow crowds, provokes reflection. Basically, how does my faith, and the church, relate to all this, and to all these people? It can be quite an earthy thing. Wandering down the bottom end of Sauchiehall St, for instance, with its fast food outlets, fish and chip wrappers, clubs, people wandering down the street in weird and wacky attire and possibly in some state of inebriation... I wonder, maybe not so much how does my faith relate to this, but how is my faith, and God, relating to this? How on earth is the church and the gospel going to touch this culture, these people?
I think getting my mind round this kind of thing has been part of the journey for me, of integrating faith with the world out there. At times it's been quite unsettling. I recall the time 6 years ago mingling with the crowds at the Notting Hill Carnival in London, witnessing that fiesta of human energy and creativity, but thinking, only a tiny minority of these people will be Christians and go to church. I had the feeling, which at the time caused a mini crisis of faith, that the whole thing seemed just BIGGER than my little world, including my Christian world, of the time. But of course it didn't end there. More later.
I'll be writing about some lighter stuff too (phew!) But want to get cracking with some of the big stuff that exercises (and sometimes bugs) me.

4 comments:

BoardToCertainDeath said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of bloggers Brucie!! xx

Bruce said...

The nation of Israel was always quite a small fish in terms of empire
politics. We hear about wars in the middle east these days, but the area of
land affected is still a lot smaller than the ideas manifested in the
battles.

Reading the bible without reference to the history surrounding it can give
one a skewed picture of world history. The world outside the fertile
crescent was a very big, very populated and very "gentile". What was going
on in Israel was not high on many world leaders' agendas.

I know the feelings you're talking about Bruce, and I'm sure most Christians
will get these feelings. When you are assured in your faith, it manifests
itself as painful mourning for the lost. When you are struggling for faith,
it becomes something that is really challenging. The sheer weight of numbers
of those who do not believe what you do is enough to shake you to your
foundations.

I guess in the face of that we have to actively seek God. The emotions of
feeling his presence can come and go, but the biblical truth, when it is
examined, is what we can depend on.

I heard this week some amazing stories surrounding the "healing rooms"
ministry, and about the woman with progressive cancer receiving prayer and
having the cancer leave her body completely: receiving a clean bill of
health from the doctors the following week.

These kind of things are happening, and we need to hold onto them as
evidence of a present, working, recreating and sustaining God, as well as
all the other evidence that is there for those who earnestly seek it.

Nice to have your thoughts. PS, you'll struggle to maintain a blog if your
posts are longer than about 1 or 2 paragraphs. (although I have yet to post
a serious reply that has been less than that! waffler for Britain, me)
anon - added by Bruce after settings change

Bruce said...

At the risk of it looking like I'm sendig lots of comments to my own blog - how narcissistic! - I just want to clarify the last comment was written by anon - initially by email - not by me.

Danny said...

I also love the "more organised bands of rain" comment on the weather...it always makes me laugh... it gives the impression that a really important grey cloud is in charge now and there is going to be a strategic push against that pesky sunshine!!